Saturday, March 30, 2013

Me on This Week's Book Week (45)

This Week's Book Week is like Stacking the Shelves hosted by Tynga's Reviews only I'm terrible with naming things. :)

This was an odd week with a high and a weird low.

The high: the Cassie Clare and Sarah Rees Brennan event. It sort of boiled down to waiting in line before the event or waiting in line during and after, and I was okay with waiting in line before because then I could talk to other book people like Caitlin and Jenny (and later on Mariam). And I got to see the wonderful Chandra who tweets from the Indigo Teen Blog account and her awesome friend Nicole. :) I also met some nice girls in line, they were fun to talk to (readers, not bloggers).

The event. It was what I expected: lots of people, a big line, lots of screaming and cheering from fangirls, Cassie being amusing and Sarah being funny. :) There won't be an event write-up because I'm going to link to the video of the Q&A. The talk proper starts at about 28:45 (just so you know). ;) (And a shiny nickel if you figure out which head is the back of my head, because it's there, I saw it in the video (so, that's what the back of my head looks like).)

The only weird thing was I felt the need to hide and decompress afterwards. Probably stemmed from all the people and the super loud DJ they decided to bring in.

The weird low: the ongoing saga of "the plague finger," or the finger that's had this weird infection since New Year's. It's still not all better. Remember how I went and got an x-ray done? On Monday, the first words out of my doctor's mouth were, "We need to run some additional tests." So something showed up, which is good, I want this fixed, but he still doesn't really know what's wrong. Fun. And so, because it could be something a bit serious like an infection in the bone. I was booked for more tests, one of which was a bone density scan that was done on Thursday. It was one of those "we'll be injecting you with something radioactive, do the scan, then have you come back in a couple of hours to do it again" tests. Based on what my doctor sees with this, I might have to get a white blood cell count done.

This year is a very very odd year. My sister was saying that maybe odd-numbered years will now be my complicated medical years. 2011: broken ankle. 2013: infection. 2015: who knows? (Her guess: virgin birth. Then we both laughed.)

(Also, yay to my sister who said yes to a grad school offer. It's the same school we both did our undergraduate studies at and she really likes the department and the staff, so we're happy for her.)

This week's reviews will be Nameless by Lili St. Crow (Tuesday) and In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters (Friday). :)
Received:
Charmed Vengeance by Suzanne Lazear (from Flux through NetGalley)
Also, swag from the Cassie Clare and Sarah Rees Brennan event. Included: temporary rune tattoos (apparently, there were lots of different runes, but I only seemed to get the one), a small poster and card and bookmark for the City of Bones movie, the Untold teaser chapter, and a necklace with a penny on it. Now all my Cassie books are signed, except when next March comes and City of Heavenly Fire comes out. But considering she was here this past week and again 2 years ago (and before that as well, according to I think Caitlin), I imagine she'll come back to BC.

No comments:

Post a Comment