Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Me on Waiting on Wednesday (78)

Waiting on Wednesday is a bunch of weekly fun hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. :)

Title: Middle Ground
Author: Katie Kacvinsky
Release Date: November 20, 2012
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

From Goodreads:

In this provocative cautionary tale for teens, the sequel to Awaken, seventeen-year-old Maddie’s rebellion against the digital-only life grows dangerous. Maddie is in Los Angeles, trying to stay out of trouble. But one night, a seemingly small act of defiance lands her in the place she fears the most: a detention center. Here, patients are reprogrammed to accept a digital existence. Maddie is now fighting for her mind, her soul, and her very life. Once again, Katie Kacvinsky paints a disturbing picture of our increasingly technology-based society.

I read Awaken and it freaked me out. Everything felt so believable, so close to happening, that it made reading the first book all the more poignant. In certain part of the world, technology is slowly taking over our lives. This near future imagining makes me crave human contact, makes me want to get away from any kind of screen. Of course, now that I see this cover, I want to re-read Awaken. :)

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Awaken too and it *was* creepy, wasn't it? I like that they kept the covers sort of similar but matching the titles, not too wild. Great pick!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen the cover of Middle Ground before. I also still haven't read Awaken - man, I need to get on it.

    Tara @ Hobbitsies

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the covers for these books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just picked up First Comes Love from the library - I had no idea she had another book coming out this year. I haven't read Awaken yet. Thanks for sharing.
    Waiting For Wentworth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering when the sequel would finally be published! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete