Saturday, January 11, 2014

Me on This Week's Book(less) Week (86)

This Week's Book Week is rather similar to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Tynga's Reviews only with far more rambling and a less witty title. ;)

No books this week. :( I don't even really have much rambling this week. Weird. Maybe something's wrong with me. Maybe it's the rain.

I really need to work out a better balance with physical books and e-books. I just read about 3 or 4 e-books in a row and halfway through the last I was ready to give up. Too much screen reading and too much not connecting enough with the book. I'm too traditional to completely give in to e-books.

I was bored the other night and found myself on Netflix doing what I usually do: browse then never watch anything. But this time I made myself watch something and I started watching Call the Midwife, the BBC based on real life series about midwives in the East End of London in the 1950's. By the end of the first episode I was all teary-eyed. :) I suppose my enjoyment of it is one more piece of evidence towards my varying tastes in all manner of things, from books to film to music to TV. It's rather honest, there are happy moments and sad moments and heart-breaking moments, but with something like this, honesty is best.

I'm going to spend the weekend reading a book I got for my birthday last month, The Melancholy of Mechagirl by Catherynne M. Valente (she also wrote The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making and Deathless). It's a small book of short stories and poems, but it looks like the kind of book that I should spend time reading, soaking up every word. And the cover is so interesting. :)
Reviews for the coming week will feature The Almost Girl by Amalie Howard (Tuesday) and Flame by Amy Kathleen Ryan, the last in her Sky Chasers trilogy (Friday). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment