Saturday, January 5, 2013

Me on This Week's Book Week (33)

This Week's Book Week is just like Stacking the Shelves hosted by Tynga's Reviews only I'm terrible at naming things. ;)

Wow. It's 2013. Weird. And I'm 26 now, which really feels weird.

In three weeks I'll be at ALA Midwinter in Seattle. Will you? :) I started freaking out over how I'm getting down there and what to say at the border when they ask why I'm going down there. There are a bunch of books I need to read and write up reviews for for late Jan and early Feb so I won't be rushed to read and write up reviews for whatever ARCs I come back with.

Because I was so looking forward to reading this book when the ARC arrived in November, my first read of the year was Ink by Amanda Sun. It's set in Japan and it involves ancient gods and ink drawings and dark power and the crime underworld of the yakuza. And the cover is gorgeous. The main character, Katie, is very much tossed straight (apart from learning the language as best as she can) into Japan and its odd (to her) culture and customs and food. There were a fair number of Japanese terms and phrases, but there was a handy glossary at the back. And there were illustrations in the book. After watching so much anime and reading so much manga over the last year, I sort of fell into reading this, but it still felt new and different. So, maybe you go look it up, see if you want to read it when it comes out in late June. *sigh* Wow, that's going to be a really long wait for book 2.

Reviews of Paper Valentine by Brenna Yovanoff and Crash by Lisa McMann went up this week. :) Next week will be Altered by Jennifer Rush and The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken.

I had a bad headache on Wednesday, then it came back on Friday. Sorry I didn't babble more here. :)
Bought:
Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz
Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (I read an e-galley and reviewed it but I was at Chapters looking for Teeth and bought this because I enjoyed it last year. Also, hardcovers were on sale.)
To review:
Marco Impossible by Hannah Moskowitz (e-galley from Macmillan through Raincoast Books)
Unremembered by Jessica Brody (e-galley from Macmillan through Raincoast Books)

6 comments:

  1. I have Unspoken on my soon-TBR list! I haven't read any of these but I just followed so I can await your reviews!

    Looks like a good line-up! Happy Reading :)

    My StS

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower via gfc! You have a good haul. I want to read unspoken/ unremembered because they sound good. I hope you enjoy your books and have a good time at ALA.
    My STS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unremembered and Teeth are two books that I want! So lucky! Anyway, enjoy reading! :)

    Stacking the Shelves @ Divergent Gryffindor

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of these, but I have Unspoken (just need to fit it into my schedule). I hope you enjoy your books!

    My Stack:
    http://booksojourner.blogspot.com/2013/01/in-my-mailbox-stacking-shelves-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. So jealous that you're going to ALA. I want to but Seattle is just too far for me to justify. I'm also really looking forward to Teeth so I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. And Ink sounds amazing! Thanks for the heads up

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh yay another blogger going to ALA! I am so excited and hopefully I'll see you there!

    ReplyDelete