Saturday, March 24, 2012

Me on In My Mailbox (65)

In My Mailbox is a bunch of weekly fun hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren. :)

I've been in a weird reading slump, but I think I've figured it out. It's because I still have issues with e-galleys and I like paper books more. So frustrating. I should really trade off, read an e-galley then a physical book, then an e-galley and so on. Of course, it helped that I read the e-galley of Gone, Gone, Gone this past week and really liked it. :)

My copy of Above made it to Michele in Toronto on Monday. *phew* Now, to wait for it to come back to BC from Toronto.

There's another YA signing in about a month, this time with Jay Asher, Hiromi Goto (author of Half World) and Carrie Mac (local YA author of The Beckoners and the upcoming The Opposite of Tidy). I figure I'll go. Of course, I'm also outrageously tempted to head to Seattle on April 26th to see Stephaine Perkins. *sobbing* Instead, I'll just renew my passport (since I need to) and weep over the $90 it'll cost.

Earlier in the week I was scheduling Waiting on Wednesday posts (this past week's and next week's) and started looking through Macmillan's Kids & YA catalogue (imprints like Farrar, Straus & Grioux, Square Fish, Feiwel & Friends, First Second, Henry Holt, and Roaring Book Press). My brain almost exploded with all the books I saw that I want to read, like Crewel and the graphic novel of A Wrinkle in Time and Necromancing the Stone and lots of others.

I was bored and went searching on NetGalley this week. Never a good idea. Oh, well. Next week is a library-visiting week. :) Also, did everyone get approved for Unspoken except me? I've seen a bunch of yes on Twitter but I'm still waiting.
Traded for:
Under My Skin by Judith Graves (from Anna at The Bursting Bookshelf)

From NetGalley:
The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa (from Harlequin) (My first foray into Julie Kagawa's writing. *hiding from the Iron Fey fans chucking their books at me*)
Between Gears by Natalie Nourigat (from Image Comics) (In my search for more teen/young adult graphic novels, I started searching on NetGalley and found this. It came out on the 6th and is an autobiographical comic of the artist's last year in university. I thought it sounded kind of cool. Also, it's not on Goodreads, so if you're a Librarian on Goodreads, put it on there.)
Scarlett Dedd by Cathy Brett (from Random House)
Zero by Tom Leveen (from Random House) (You know, Random House might as well auto-approve me, they never seem to say no to me.)

To read & review: Zero, The Immortal Rules, The Last Princess, Struck, The Hunt, Fated, Shadow and Bone, This is Not a Test, Never Enough, Scarlett Dedd, Yesterday, and Romeo Redeemed. :)

3 comments:

  1. I think a lot of people got The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa this week because it's on Net Galley. Come visit me as well.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so I commented on this but it appears to not be here. Weird.

    So are you going to the Stephanie Perkins singing? I would be so jealous! I want to get my books signed by her.

    I have Immortal Rules this week too! Julie Kagawa is a great author and I am sure you'll want to read the Iron Fey series next.

    I totally agree. I prefer a real book to an ebook. I have a lot of egalleys and might take your suggestion to alternate them because I am feeling a little reading slump too.

    Great mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your copy of Above arrives asap - Leah's handwriting is beautiful ;) Jay Asher is gonig to be in Toronto April 19 and I am so stoked to go and get some books singed! I haven't started The Immortal Rules yet but I hope to soon. I loved the Iron Fey series (seriously read it as soon as you can!) and can't wait to read something new from Julie Kagawa! Have a fantastic week - happy reading!!

    I'd love if you checked out my IMM post if you're interested:
    http://www.wordsathome.ca/2012/03/imm-2-and-the-above-launch-party.html

    ReplyDelete